25 Jul 2011

Lessons Learned

I made a presentation of Wevesting today to 6 people here in the Nucleus and learned a lot in the process.

I learned the value of being methodical in your planning. It is incredibly important to evaluate what you want to get out of an experience prior to starting it. You may learn something unexpected - in fact, you likely will - but the value in being specific in yours aims and goals is that it gives you direction, and permits you to ask self-improving, direct questions upon conclusion.

Today, I failed to properly define the purpose of my presentation. It was a quasi-pitch / quasi-process presentation in which I sought to explain Wevesting and describe my learning process. Upon review, this was taking on too much, and as a result, my presentation suffered. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't as valuable an experience as it could have been. Nick Laird commended my speaking ability, which was flattering, yet I know that I have to work on removing my "uhhs".

Over the next few days, I will be crafting a 20minute pitch with an accompanying 10-slide powerpoint. I know for me to be successful come pitch day, I will have to practice this with a real audience - and so I shall.

I can feel myself improving in front of the crowd; my goal is to be able to harness people's attention and communicate as I would with a friend. I have a story to tell; stage fright isn't going to stop me from telling it.

Here is a video of Oren Klaff, author of "Pitch Anything". There are some very useful lessons I took from this.

Wistia